The UIS is the statistical office of UNESCO and the United Nations’ depository for global statistics in the fields of education, science and technology, culture and communication.
The Institute is an autonomous organization within UNESCO. This functional autonomy safeguards the Institute’s independence in developing and disseminating the accurate and policy-relevant data needed in today’s increasingly complex and changing social, political and economic environments.
The UIS has its own Governing Board that consists of 12 international experts, representing users and producers of statistics from different regions and international organizations.
The Board's primary tasks are to define UIS policy and broad functions, as well as to approve the yearly institutional programme and budget. The Board also monitors, evaluates and provides guidance on the Institute's operations.
UIS Governing Board members:
Members designated by UNESCO's Director-General:
- Ms Carol NUGA DELIWE (South Africa), Head of Impact for Education, the Mastercard Foundation-South Africa (2025)
- Ms Arevik ANAPIOSYAN (Armenia), Development Coordination Officer, Partnerships and Development Finance, Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Armenia (2023)
- Mr Luis CROUCH (Dominican Republic), Senior Economist (retired emeritus), International Development Group (IDG) of RTI (2023)
- Ms Ethel Agnes PASCUA-VALENZUELA (Philippines), Education Advisor on the Future of Education, ASEAN (2025)
- Mr Dankert VEDELER* (Norway), Advisor, Ministry of Education and Research / Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2025)
Members elected by the UNESCO General Conference:
- Mr Juan Daniel OVIEDO ARANGO (Colombia), Former Chief Statistician of Colombia (2023)
- Mr Andrew Rasugu Otachi RIECHI (Kenya), Senior Lecturer, Department of Educational Administration and Planning, University of Nairobi (2023)
- Mr Mohammed Saeed AL-MOHANNADI (Qatar), Director of Statistics Department, Planning and Statistics Authority (2025)
- Mr Tommi HIMBERG (Finland), Counsellor, Education and Science, Permanent Delegation of Finland to the OECD and UNESCO (2025)
- Mr Ariunbold SHAGDAR (Mongolia), Director of Census and data analysis department, National Statistical Office (2025)
Former Chairs of the Governing Board:
- Mr Dankert VEDELER (Norway) 2020-2021
- Ms Silvie MICHAUD (Canada) 2018-2019
- Mr Matthew SUDDERS (United Kingdom) 2016-2017
- Mr Lennart NORDSTRÖM (Sweden) 2014-2015
- Ms Grace BEDIAKO (Ghana) 2012-2013
- Mr Yvon FORTIN (Canada) 2008-2011
- Ms Heli JESKANEN-SUNDSTRÖM (Finland) 2007
- Mr Jean-Louis SARBIB (France) 2005-2006
- Mr Jozef M. RITZEN (Netherlands) 2000-2004
*Current chair of the Governing Board